Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Studs Terkel

via Chicago History Museum
I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know much about Studs Terkel until today...his 100th birthday. The Newberry Library was holding a commemorative event for Terkel for his work as an author, historian, actor, and broadcaster in Chicago (not to mention being a Pulitzer Prize winner).

Although I was still feeling a bit under the weather, I decided to go to the event because I heard that artists, historians, activists, writers, and reporters were attending -- my type of crowd. I entered the marble lavished library and quickly blended in with a sea of other guests. I was delighted at what was to come.

There was a small bookstore that held a selection of Terkel's famous books. To get an idea of what he was all about, I picked up his book Working: People Talk About What They Do All Day and How They Feel About What They Do. I skimmed through the pages, attempting to find something that would allow me to understand him. I stopped at the last page of the introduction and read the final three paragraphs:
Nora Watson may have said it most succinctly. "I think most of us are looking for a calling, not a job. Most of us, like the assembly line worker, have jobs that are too small for our spirit. Jobs are not big enough for people."
During my three years of prospecting, I may have, on more occasions than I had imagined, struck gold. I was constantly astonished by the extraordinary dreams of ordinary people. No matter how bewildering the times, no matter how dissembling the official language, those we call ordinary are aware of a sense of personal worth- or more often a lock of it - in the work they do. Tom Patrick, the Brooklyn fireman whose reflections end the book, similarly bring this essay to a close:
"The fuckin' world's so fucked up, the country's fucked up. But the firemen, you actually see them produce. You see them put out a fire. You see them come out with babies in their hands. You see them give mouth-to-mouth when a guy's dying. You can't get around that shit. That's real. To me, that's what I want to be.
"I worked in a bank. You know, it's just paper. It's not real. Nine to five and it's shit. You're lookin' at numbers. But I can look back and say, 'I helped put out a fire. I helped save somebody.' It shows something I did on this earth."
Needless to say Working is now on my immediate reading list (bet you didn't see that coming).

I stood reflecting at all the people that came to commemorate Terkel and realized that they too have at some point searched for their purpose in life. Whether you believe your purpose is to be a great parent or to be the person who cures a disease, we all constantly strive to find just a glimpse of our duty here.

Since I've moved to Chicago, I've been reflecting about what my purpose is and what I can do for my community. It's been overwhelming at times because finding this "reason for living" doesn't exactly come with an instruction manual. I look at those around me, whether younger or older, and see that they too are trying to find what their contribution is to the world.

As for me, I think I have decided what I believe is the most important thing I can contribute to this world and that's to be the voice for those who have none. I haven't determined how I'll do it or if I can even get it done but you will (hopefully) be there to experience the journey with me.

What do you believe your purpose is and what do you find are your struggles in achieving it?

Send me an email at fivesensus@gmail.com or leave a comment!

People always like to know that they're not alone :)

Until next time,

Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment