Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 67: Focus





It's hard to express what happens when I watch gymnastics. At first glance of the equipment, I immediately fill with tears. It puts me right back to when I was about 9 years old training at the Florida Gymnastics Training Center in Miami.

It's strange but when I think about my 10 years in gymnastics, I don't remember the enjoyable moments of winning medals or receiving praise from my coaches for a good days work. What I remember most are the times during training when I felt acute moments of focus.

I gazed at the gymnasts subtle movements and could right away put myself in their position. When the gymnast steps toward the end of the balance beam, lifts her arms gracefully into the air, and takes a deep outward breathe before flying towards the other end. In that moment, she is thinking of nothing but the present -- no pain, sound, or movement could distract her. 

It's a feeling I wish I could experience a little more often...

Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment